Traveling AutoStrop, any interest?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Nairb, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

I'm considering putting into motion a traveling AutoStrop (SE) for those who've never used one before.

I have yet to work out the "rules", won't be anything too strenuous though. Probably CONUS only.

Would there be any interest? If you post "yes" that means you'd be interested in it yourself. This thread won't be the actual travelin' AutoStrop thread, this is just a feeler.

For those who don't know, they're fairly aggressive, but fantastic razors.

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Sure, I will have a whack at it!

3. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

The way I'll probably work it, I'll start it on the first leg of the trip with blades, all of the scheduling and tracking would be done through the thread, who gets it next, when it's sent off, when it arrives. That way we know who has it and where it's going. Each person uses one blade and trashes the blade when they're done with the razor, leaving the razor empty, then they ship it to the next person, again , as scheduled in the thread. after it runs out of blades or the interest wanes, the last person sends it back to me. Or if someone who tried it wants it I can sell it and have it shipped directly to them at the end. They don't sell for much and it won't be a collector grade AS.

Every person will be responsible, upon receiving the gear, for cleaning the razor to the degree of cleanliness that they wish, by non-destructive means, ie, scrubbing bubbles, dish detergent, toothbrush, you get the idea.

BTW, I get 7 shaves from one blade, so I guess each driver should get 7 days to use it, or if they wish to cut it short and ship it to the next person sooner, that's OK.

I'll also need to post instructions for loading a blade. It looks hairy sliding a blade in the holder from side, but it isn't actually too bad.

Does that make sense? Am I missing anything? Is there a way to PM folks with this software so that we don't need to put addresses on a public forum? I tried the "start a conversation" function but if the recipient ever got the thing, I have no idea, I didn't get a reply.

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Check your Private Conversations. If the message was sent successfully, it will be in there. If it is there and you didn't get a reply, you just didn't get a reply. If it isn't there, you didn't successfully create a PC.

5. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

I saw where 2 people looked at it. I intended to send it to one person. It sorta defeats the purpose of a "private" message if more than one person can see it. Privacy would be required for addresses IMO. Or am not understanding something? It wouldn't be the first time. :)

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :confused:
    I've never seen anywhere that says 2/3/4/etc people have looked at a PC.
    There is the number of people in the conversation. 2 would be you and the person you sent the PC to.

The only people who can see it are people you or the recipient invite to the conversation.

7. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

I would be down for giving it a try! Sounds kinda fun.

8. blazeadam

blazeadam Active Member

I'm always interested in trying new stuff, yes for me.

9. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

Thanks JoAnna.

I see no reason this isn't doable then. I have the VAS razor next to my keyboard as I type. I'll make sure it's good to go this weekend with 2 shaves and modify some Gem SS PTFE blades and get it on it's way to the first person.