Personna Floating Head Injector

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Slivovitz, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Yes, another injector. Really, the collection was pretty much complete without this one, but it was one that I intended to get given a decent opportunity.

Personna's explanation on this one is that it's supposed to prevent you from accidentally applying too much pressure. The head pivots on the handle, so if you're pulling too hard, it's supposed to back things off for you a little. That's the theory, haven't actually shaved with it yet.

Here's a picture with the head in its closed position.

[​IMG]

And another with it open, propped open with a toothpick.

[​IMG]

This is also the only Personna injector which is supposed to take both the twin and the single injector blades.

Now that pretty much does complete the injector collection. Unless I can find a real bargain on a G2. That's the one with the 14k gold handle. Not to be confused with the gold plated G3.:rolleyes:

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Nice score!

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Nice.

Please report back on how it shaves.

4. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Thats one on me...Don't remember anything like that...When would that one have been on the scene ?

5. Slivovitz

Best guess, early 70s, maybe extending back to late 60s, based partly on the lack of bar codes on some vintage blade packages. Although bar code scanners didn't spread to all stores at once, I think that by the mid 70s, most major product lines at least were putting them on packages.

The little information sheet that came with the razor suggests using Personna 74 blades. I have some vintage Personna 74s, and there is no bar code on the package. I also have some Personna Twin blade injector cartridges, again with no bar code. There's an offer on the back that if the blades won't fit your current injector, you can send $1.50 to Personna, and they'll mail you one of their floating head injectors. Probably this offer is no longer good.

Forgot to mention before, the Personna 74 package also plugs this razor.

6. haiti222

haiti222 Member

When the P74 first came out in 1971, they sold the Stainless Personna Injector razor and the metal blade case for the injectors. I think about a year or two later, the Floating Head Razor was introduced along with the hybrid plastic/steel blade pack.

I enjoy the floating head injector. I found that it encourages what many wet shavers think of as a bad habit- varying pressure during the shave and when the blade gets old. This lengthens how long you can use an injector blade, at the cost of a bad habit.

7. nav

nav Well-Known Member

WOW Where did you get it? Do you know where I can get one?

8. Slivovitz

Well, eBay. It cost me $26.40 including shipping. A bit high? Maybe. I mentioned above that Personna would mail you one for $1.50 back when they were making their twin injector blades. Assuming that to be in 1973, then that's still only $7.24 in 2009, using the consumer price index from this site. This is the kind of thing you'd have bought in a drugstore, not a high end department store.

Still, these seem to be fairly rare now, they apparently weren't made for very long, and I might have paid more if the seller hadn't misspelled Personna, "Perssona". This is about the fourth that I've seen on the Bay since I started searching for injectors, and the first in perhaps a year. I didn't keep records, but I think the others went for this or a bit more. Antique store prices would probably be a lot less if you happened to find one.

9. haiti222

haiti222 Member

I paid more than that for mine. Very nice score, especially with the packaging and if you got the black/silver 74 blade case. I always found those very attractive...

10. Slivovitz

Pretty well, as it turns out. I put a Pella blade in it, used my D.R. Harris Almond Shave Stick, and tried it out this morning.

Another good injector shave. Except that these are fairly uncommon, this would be another razor that's good to start with, and even to stick with permanently if the urge to experiment and collect doesn't take over.

The head is rather larger than most injectors, but there wasn't any problem maneuvering around tight spots. You can feel it pivoting sometimes, particularly going ATG, where there's more resistance. This wasn't as disconcerting as you might expect. It's a bit top heavy, which is not a problem for me, as I usually choke up on my razors anyway.

In the early to mid 70s, injector razors had a smaller market share than DEs already, and with new cartridge razors coming out, Personna probably didn't get a lot of interest in this design. It's not surprising that they dropped it, but that doesn't mean it's not good.

11. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

After I thought about it for awhile I remember this one...At the time I never tried it because I figured it would be giving up too much control...I remember even saying something to my Pop about it. I thought it would feel like a loose cannon...but I never knew anyone who had tried one, so I never heard a review...If I had read your review then, I might have picked one up..:)
    At that time I was still using my original I2.

12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Now I'm even more 'anxious' to receive the one I bought today :D

There's also some great info here

Billyfergie likes this.
  13. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

These were only made for a few months in the early 19170s as Gillette copied the design and flooded the market with pivoting head cartridge systems ....The thing about using this Injector is to forget the idea its a Floating Design and just use a light touch.....These are very aggressive injectors, but they are very quiet ....The are almost silent and it can be very deceiving....The Twin blades are very sharp and its easy to shave a tad too close for comfort...You will not be aware of the Floating Head in action, but it does make little subtle adjustments without using pressure....;)

The Personna is very much like the PAL Adjustable in that its not as intuitive to use as a Schick Injector....And like the PAL Injectors the Floating Head takes the whiskers deep....All the American Safety Razor Injectors are different animals to Schick's...I think even Colonel Schick would have been in Awe with them....:p
    Hope you like it Sir...:chores016:
    Billy

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    Darkbulb and clint64 like this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

There's another one for sale now for $32 w/ free shipping. Seems to have a little bit of wear on the plastic but otherwise it looks good.

Billyfergie likes this.
  15. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Yeah, I saw that one...Got a light scuff mark but it actually looks as if it never been used to me...Nice price an all...:chores016:

Billy