1913 GILLETTE Pocket edition

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by alpla444, Feb 14, 2012.

1. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I got this aweek ago but just not got round to posting pics (or using or cleaning it yet!!!) P1030922(1).JPG P1030923(1).JPG P1030924(1).JPG P1030925(1).JPG

No blades or blade case (if anybody has a blade case that will go with this set please let me know)

2. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Dean, WOW that is sharp looking. Love the ornate handle. Great find.

alpla444 likes this.
  3. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Absolutely! well done, Dean. Great razor.

alpla444 likes this.
  4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Excellent score! A Gillette ABC Empire set! Congrats! :eatdrink047:

Is the top part of the handle bent or is that just photo trickeration on my eyes? If it's bent, you can wrap it up in a towel and get after it gently with a hammer to bend it back. As you know now, the ABC handles are solid so they can take it.

Lyndon and alpla444 like this.
  5. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

Wow, what a beauty, nice find!

alpla444 likes this.
  6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

:happy096: Absolutely great find! Congrats!

alpla444 likes this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Very nice ABC! Enjoy!

alpla444 likes this.
  8. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Beautiful. The ABC 's are one of my favorite razors. Those and the war years '04's.
    Used a ABC shell design this week already with a Red Personna. Great, mild, clean shave.

alpla444 likes this.
  9. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Ps. I don't think that any of them came with a "fancy" blade holder. I believe that all of them used the plain Gillette 1911'ish blade boxes.
    Any other input???

alpla444 likes this.
  10. tomnat

I was wondering the same thing.

alpla444 likes this.
  11. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

its ok now
    P1030926(1).JPG

looks like the razor was a gift first time round looking at the engraving on the top it has 17th september 1913

12. tomnat

That is awesome! and it looks great along side your new brush. :happy096:

alpla444 likes this.
  13. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Looks really nice. Mine is beautiful but I think I like the look of the silver a bit better.

alpla444 likes this.
  14. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

So you have the gold one then?

15. theblindog

theblindog Active Member

yep, that brush is a perfect match :happy088:

alpla444 likes this.
  16. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

The gold Floral pattern, yes. Mine is bent. I'll put some more pics up one of these days.

alpla444 likes this.
  17. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Now I know who has been beating me out of the Rubberset brushes on eBay! lol

Good to see you got the bend worked out. Looks great. The ABC Empire sets are the most sought after, for their very ornate design on both the handle and the case. And you got one of the first ones too, 1913. Very happy for you! :eatdrink047:

Do as you want but I wouldn't polish it or remove the silver tarnish - at least not in the recesses of the design. On these old silver ABC sets, the patina actually adds to the look and "pop" of them.

18. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Yeah I agree with the patina thing, maybe thats why the gold does not look quite as good on this design.

Hey Hanzo bid on the rubberset for me and posted em out to me, top bloke. never see em on UK ebay. I only wanted 1 and he got me 2 so I have a badger project next month not quite sure on the knot im gonna use. I nearly have more brush's than razors!!! Dam that Aaron :happy102:

Lyndon and battle.munky like this.
  19. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

One of the most interesting part of collecting vintage razors is understanding their times.
    Time time from 1913:
    February 1 – New York City's Grand Central Terminal, having been rebuilt, reopens as the world's largest train station.
    February 3 – The 16th Amendment to the United States Constitution is ratified, authorizing the Federal government to impose and collect income taxes.
    February 17 – The Armory Show opens in New York City. It displays the works of artists who are to become some of the most influential painters of the early 20th Century.
    March 4 – Woodrow Wilson succeeds William Howard Taft as the 28th President of the United States.
    March 4 – The U.S. Department of Commerce and U.S. Department of Labor are established by splitting the duties of the 10-year-old Department of Commerce and Labor.
    March 4 – The first U.S. law regulating the shooting of migratory birds is passed.
    March 7 – The British freighter Alum Chine, carrying 343 tons of dynamite, explodes in Baltimore harbor.[1]
    March 13 – Mexican Revolution: Pancho Villa returns to Mexico from his self-imposed exile in the United States.
    March 25 – Great Dayton Flood: Two days of rain in the Miami Valley flood the region and mark the worst natural disaster in Ohio's recorded history. Dayton is especially devastated.
    April–June

April 8 – The Seventeenth Amendment to the United States Constitution is passed, dictating the direct election of senators.
    April 24 – The Woolworth Building opens in New York City.
    April 26 – Mary Phagan is raped and strangled on the premises of the National Pencil Factory in Atlanta. Leo Frank is tried and convicted for the crime.
    May – The Paul Emile Chabas painting September Morn creates a national sensation in the U.S., and results in a court case in Chicago, Illinois.
    May 14 – New York Governor William Sulzer approves the charter for the Rockefeller Foundation, which begins operations with a $100,000,000 donation from John D. Rockefeller.
    June – The first edition of the Christian esoteric magazine Rays from the Rose Cross is published in the United States (it is still issued bimonthly today).
    June 13 – A International Railway (New York – Ontario) trolley and passengers are buried under the contents of an overhead garbage chute, that breaks in Niagara Falls, New York.
    June 15 – Bud Bagsak Massacre: U.S. troops under General John 'Black Jack' Pershing kill at least 2,000 civilians in Bud Bagsak, the Philippines.
    July–September

July 3 – The 50th anniversary commemoration of the Battle of Gettysburg draws thousands of American Civil War veterans and their families to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.
    July 10 – Death Valley, California hits 134 °F (~56.7 °C) which is the highest temperature recorded in the United States (as of 2004).
    September 19 – Francis Ouimet wins the U.S. Open by 5 strokes, becoming the first amateur to ever win the event.
    October–December

October 3 – The United States Revenue Act of 1913 re-imposes the federal income tax and lowers basic tariff rates from 40% to 25%.
    October 10 – U.S. President Woodrow Wilson triggers the explosion of the Gamboa Dike, ending construction on the Panama Canal.
    October 31 – The Lincoln Highway, the first automobile road across the United States, is dedicated.
    November 7–11 – The Great Lakes Storm of 1913 kills more than 250.
    November 26 – Phi Sigma Sigma, the first non-sectarian sorority, is founded at Hunter College in New York.
    December 1 – The Ford Motor Company introduces the first moving assembly line, reducing chassis assembly time from 12½ hours in October to 2 hours, 40 minutes (although Ford is not the first to use an assembly line, his successful adoption of one sparks an era of mass production).
    December 21 – Arthur Wynne's "word-cross", the first crossword puzzle, is published in the New York World.
    December 23 – The Federal Reserve is created by Woodrow Wilson.

20. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

If it was mine i would use some heat first (for example a heat-gun) to warm the "problematic" area
    I would not hit it by cold.

Great razor,i hope you enjoy it alfa444 !
    [​IMG]

Lyndon, alpla444 and CyanideMetal like this.