Out of Context

Discussion in 'Clean Jokes' started by sol92258, Aug 11, 2009.

1. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Okay, so there's the joke about things that sound dirty, but in certain circumstances, aren't, and that got me to thinking...our forums are a veritable gold mine of things that, taken out of context, are extremely hilarious. The brush drying threads are a motherlode...
    So, how bout we have a running thread where we simply quote the statement that could be misconstrued here - for the utmost in hilarity, do not make any clarifying remarks about the statement, just quote it in the original thread, copy it, then make a new post here and paste.

I'll start with a current running gag....

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Is it just me or does quoting a post in one thread, put it in some quoting que that shows up when you go to reply to any post.

For example; I'm reading through HYD, see stuff I want to reply to, hit the Multi Quote button. I get distracted or forget I was going to reply those post. Wander off to a new thread, go to reply to one post, and under the reply box is "5 messages have been quoted. Would you like these to be included here?"

If so, you'd only need to hit the Multi Quote button, then the Reply button in this thread.

Robyflexx and Douglas Carey like this.
  3. sol92258

I haven't noticed that, but if it works it'll make it eleventy-seven times easier to do...Thanks JoAnna!

Robyflexx and Douglas Carey like this.
  4. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Jim,

I'm all for this idea but someone will sooner or later get offended. The way things have been going lately with Friendly Reminders, etc. it may be construed as an attack on certain members to quote them.

At least the guys I would quote. ;) :D

5. sol92258

Yes, JoAnna speaks the truth, it doth worketh welleth!
    Follow her method, or I'll smite thee.
    :D

6. freddy88

freddy88 Member

____________________________:sihns011___________________________________________

Douglas Carey likes this.
  7. sol92258

hmmmm....fair point - I'll let the powers that be decide to keep or delete thread, but the idea isn't to make fun of anyone, just see the humor in a statement out of context, something we've all done.

8. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Yeah, Eric may be right, although I am HONORED to have my rambling nonsense used to bring smiles to the hearts of the masses. :D

I've always been big on taking stuff out of context and audio aliasing, but I can imagine others might not share my adolescent glee in such humor. I'm okay with it; in fact it looks like fun to me.

Speaking of Eric:

9. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

As long as it is in good fun and not aimed AT people, it is fine by me. I will be watching however to make sure it stays that way, just in case.

10. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I am quite sure this could be snowball into something not so friendly. I believe b/c of the sensitivity of some of the members that this is a bad idea. I am in no way offended if you choose to use any of my posts or threads of course or even if you take personal stabs at me but thats me. I have been at the butt of jokes before and walked away with a smile. There are many posts I would love to quote but would probably be jammed to the wall with some kind of copyright infringement laws. Needless to say I will not partake in poking fun at other posts since it has become a sensitive subject as of lately on the forum. What happens if someone reads a mocked post and takes it in a strong and suggestive way? They report the post as offensive, it gets deleted, and the original poster is looked at as a "softy" or "whiner" while the mocker gets a slap on the wrist?

Quote your own posts maybe? My 2 cents.

11. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

One idea: move the thread to the no holds barred section under the dirty jokes heading. Seems like the perfect place to me.

12. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Not a bad idea actually... consider it done.

13. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Great idea.

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Why? There should be nothing verbally dirty in any of the quoted posts? Implied by being taken out of context doesn't mean the thread belongs in Dirty Jokes.

15. freddy88

freddy88 Member

That still doesn't solve the problem that Eric, rightly, brought up. If I saw a joke in the no holds barred area that was anti-semetic, anti-muslim, etc., I would be just as offended as if it were posted elsewhere. Likewise, no matter where this thread were to be moved the person who was quoted could still be offended.

16. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Perhaps not, but NHB will at least warn some people it could get a little 'risky'. Equating an old of context post to something anti-semetic is a little far fetched though. Nothing like that would survive anywhere here to begin with.

17. sol92258

wow, where'd all the lawyers come from?

(joke, people, a joke!)

ever walked out to your car and found all four tires flat?

several good points have been brought up, maybe I just assumed the purpose intended in my mind would be understood...not quoting things to be harmful, or something stupid I or someone wrote, those are vicious and un-condonable.

But a statement made in somewhere in one context, that when looked at, as the title suggests, out of context, and be FUNNY, that's the goal.
    Not poking fun at somebody.
    Really it's making fun of yourself for seeing something that isn't there.

I guess it's just the anti-comedian in me coming out.

My apologies.

18. freddy88

freddy88 Member

I certainly hope not and I was only using that as an example. The original poster could still be insulted. Why even open up this can of worms?

19. omegapd

omegapd New Member

That's the problem, though...the out of context part. Nobody (well, most) don't like anything they've said to be taken that way. Look at the post Tom quoted of mine.

Tom and I are friends. We've chatted on FaceBook and here and I like the guy a lot- even though he now made me look like a pervert in this thread. :happy102

If Tom and I weren't friends...how would that come across? Somebody would be upset and possibly leave TSD.

Regardless, whatever happens, happens. I still like the idea- I can just see how this could cause problems...

20. micah1_8

micah1_8 Poor Heartless Prevert

<<<checks logo and URL>>>

Hmmm... thought I was on the wrong site for a moment, there.

Maybe it's just a "Distraction" thing Jim. I totally understood what you were going for, right away. It's a shame but some people simply don't have a sense of humour, and they might be offended by something that isn't meant to be offensive. On the other hand, there's plenty of crap on tv that offends me, even though it isn't aimed at me. Last I checked, Oprah and The View are still on the air, though.

I say, march on unapologetically! If the mods are concerned that it people will be offended, maybe that can hang up a sign on it that says, "People with thin skins/no sense of humour are not allowed beyond this point! Danger, here be dragons!"

Just to contribute, I'm going to quote myself from this very same post:

killjoy.gif

FatherofSquirrel likes this.