Robot vacuum cleaners

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Sara-s, Apr 19, 2024.

1. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

As long as you don't have an incontinent dog.....

brit and chazt like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Yes, once you use it once or twice, you want to GRADUATE to something else.

chazt, richgem and Sara-s like this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Mrs Robinson, are you trying to seduce me?

chazt likes this.
  4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Meryl Sweep
    The Furminator
    Dirty Hairy
    Dusty Rugg
    Stevie Wander
    Harvey Wallbanger

chazt, Herm2502, Sara-s and 2 others like this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

chazt and John Beeman like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That was their kickoff song "Most Of AlL You Got To Hide It From The Kids".

chazt and richgem like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The Dreame L10s Ultra is programmed to avoid piles, not that it's a problem. (We have a dog door). It also mops.

Lancre, chazt and brit like this.
  8. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

This is great, a real laugh! What a collection of silly and clever names - chortle and guffaw :p
    Actually, I should probably get one of these robotic bad boys. It’ll make my life easier for sure, and the grandkids will have cleaner floors to crawl. Win, win!

Pardon my geekout. Vacuum technology is fascinating to me. Prior to my career change, the company I worked for the longest was the Hoover Company. When people asked, “how’s business?” the answer was always, “picking up!” I was with them for almost 10 years when they downsized me out of a job. In reality, best thing that ever happened to me, but at the time we’d just bought our home and the kids were both under three. But I digress,, I started with Hoover as a service tech working on residential and commercial floor care equipment and laundry appliances. They were the kind of company that actually offered a career path (except for that unfortunate downsizing incident), always looking to promote from within. I was given an opportunity in sales, and eventually made it to district sales manager. They’d actually downsized a few times in the years I was with them. When I was cut, they went from 24 people covering NY, NJ, PA and CT, down to six. Hoover eventually succumbed to changing consumerism and global manufacturing and market conditions, and is now a faint shadow of its former stature as industry giant and powerhouse.

When I was a kid my Mom owned a Hoover Constellation for ages - until it kicked the bucket and you just couldn’t get parts for it. It was a brilliant design in theory. The canister was sphere shaped and sat on a tilted axis on a flat base. The motor was housed in the lower half, the replaceable dust bag in the top section. The hose attached at just the right angle so that there was the least amount of strain on the connection point while in use. The lid was hinged and flipped open for easy peasy bag changes, and the power cord wrapped around the bottom of the ball while resting on the flat base. But the coolest thing of all was that it exhausted from the bottom… you got it, this baby floated! Like I said, it was a brilliant idea that was destined to fail. The problem they didn’t foresee was that in real world applications, the machines burned through motors like nobody’s business. It was the materials used. Then, nobody used plastics. They made stuff out of metal. After a time, Hoover replaced so many motors under warranty they stopped production and slowly phased out the replacement parts. My Dad worked magic keeping that old vac running for years past its peak serviceable life.
    IMG_8512.jpeg
    (This could have been my Mom’s.)

Here in Chez chazt, for the last few years we’ve been using a Miele canister vacuum. It’s a powerful machine and a good traditional style vacuum. Still, it has three main drawbacks. 1, it’s bulky and 2, as a result, a pita to store. 3, I have to do the vacuuming. Yes, it may be time to look into a robovac.

DaltonGang likes this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Unless you enjoy vacuuming, buy one.

chazt and Sara-s like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

still using the old electrolux canister job..still works great,just load another bag and go..:Dwhen i met my wife 20 years ago,i still used my 1960s kirby..

chazt likes this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I had a Kirby for a while. But, it was better suited for one story houses, with short pile carpets. I sold it to some professional maids.
    I then bought a Rainbow Vacuum Cleaner. I loved that thing. I bought it because my newborn had severe allergies, and this filtered through water. It eventually broke, because it was high maintenance, and my future ex-wife wouldn't store it properly.

chazt likes this.