ARKO or Williams(RIP)??? Poll.

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by DaltonGang, May 23, 2021.

?

ARKO VS. Williams. Which is best??

1. ARKO

46 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Williams

23 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

That is done because people respond to numbers in products in general. People instinctively assume that higher numbers are somehow better than lower numbers. For software, as an example, version 12.0 is better than a competitor's version 11.0. In the case of razor cartridges, more blades are better than fewer blades. More and newer is better just because it is. Until some folks discover otherwise and rebel against the marketing schtick and ridiculously overpriced products.

Increasing the number of blades in a cartridge can only be taken so far before it becomes impractical. Impractical due to increased manufacturing cost without a corresponding increase in shave quality. Now the major manufacturers are turning to other means of innovation. Gillette's collaboration with, and eventual acquisition of, Art of Shaving is one such case. The COVID quarantine torpedoed the AoS business to a large extent, so it is gradually being replaced with Gillette Labs. They now sell heated razors, and even a Bugatti Special Edition Razor, along with cartridges with exfoliating bars. Traditional shaving has done the same thing with Wolfman and similar exclusive, very pricey razors. The hype surrounding these products is little different than what Gillette, Schick and others are doing. Mucho money, but not necessarily a better shave.

That's the great thing about a competitive marketplace! Sure, it is a bummer if a favorite product changes for the worse or gets discontinued. We have a great wealth of options now, and lots of reviews online. Finding a great shaving soap is easier than ever before.

brit, Daywalker and Terry like this.
  2. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

[​IMG]
    Arko anytime over Williams for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

The Schick Quatro worked well for me, however the two bladed Slim Twin was my favorite and I still have a couple packs of refill Carts. I like Barbasol and it will work with a brush. The purple, or yellow cans are my favorites.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

4. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I don't think they would get enough of the younger generation to use it to make it worth bringing back.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

ARKO seems to last a long time, even with regular use. It doesn't take much, when you face lather. Just wet the face, rub the stick all over, and lather. The lather forms very thick, and slick. I have to add water to the brush, over and over, to thin it out some. Also, there is usually so much lather in the brush, it is good for 2-3 passes.

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

:D

brit likes this.
  7. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

It will also last a long time when the stick is bowl pressed, Arko keeps on giving with a box of 12.

Ksblazer, DaltonGang and brit like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

this i how i prefer it also,still on the first 3 sticks from my box of 12..;)
    20240426_053235_edited.jpg

elektrotasil, Ksblazer and DaltonGang like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Looks like Arko is walking away with this survey. Course we recall the "classic" Williams soap video I love, where the shaver says, halfway through it, "I really don't like this soap". I haven't seen a similar video pertaining to Arko.

brit likes this.